Greek Orthodox Stewards of America - March 30, 1999
Stewards´ letter to the Editor-in-Chief of New York Magazine
March 23, 1999
Letter to Editor
Editor-In-Chief, New York Magazine
444 Madison Avenue
New York, New York 10022
Re: Article Entitled "Crisis in the Cathedral"
Dear Ms. Miller:
I read the article entitled "Crisis in the Cathedral" that appeared in the March 8, 1999 edition of New York Magazine. While reading the article, I was disturbed by its slanted tenor and obvious bias. Then I read the March edition of the Orthodox Observer which reprinted a letter Father Mark Arey, the Director of Communications for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, wrote to the editor of New York Magazine concerning the article. Father Arey surgically disassembled that article from head to toe. It is clear after reading Father Arey's letter, journalistic integrity was lacking when the original article was written.
I respectfully request that New York Magazine conduct an investigation of the circumstances under which the "Crisis in the Cathedral" article was written. That investigation must address a number of questions, including the following:
- Does the author of the March 8 article, Christopher Bonanos, have any relationship to Father Stephanopoulos or members of his family? If yes, what is the relationship?
- What is the relationship, if any, between other New York Magazine staffers and the Stephanopoulos family?
- Do members of the New York Magazine staff attend the Cathedral? What is their relationship, if any, with the Cathedral?
- What is the relationship, if any, between Mr. Bonanos and the organization known as Greek Orthodox American Leaders, Inc. ("G.O.A.L. Corporation")?
- Are G.O.A.L. Corporation members on the New York Magazine staff? What role, if any, did G.O.A.L. members play in writing the article?
- Does New York Magazine have any response to Father Arey?
- Why was the article so slanted?
After the investigation is completed, if warranted, I suggest you take appropriate remedial action. And of course, you should print a retraction.
I am sending copies of this letter to Mr. William F. Reilly, the Chairman and CEO of Primedia, Inc. ("Primedia"), Mr. Charles G. McCurdy, the President of Primedia, and Mr. David Tanzer, the President and CEO of Primedia Consumer Magazine. By doing this, I hope that they will take appropriate action at the corporate level to assure that in the future, New York Magazine does not stray from the path of journalistic integrity.
Very truly yours,
George C. Rockas
cc: William F. Reilly
Charles G. McCurdy
[ Greek Orthodox Stewards of America
March 30, 1999 ]